About NeVar


In the future this website's mascot and spokes-raven, NeVar, will tell stories about the Mt. Tom Range, particularly the Mt. Tom Area.

Ravens have been followers of our kind longer than recorded history and are a rich part of our folklore. To Indigenous Americans ravens are revered noble spirits: intelligent, adaptable, sociable.

And so the common raven was chosen to tell the story of the Mt. Tom Range and why the ridge that makes up the spine of Holyoke, Massachusetts, should be preserved largely as undeveloped open space.

Eyrie House Ruins

010eyriehousNamed Mt. Nonotuck in 1858 by Professor Hitchcock of Amherst College, the Eyrie House Hotel complex rose on its summit in 1861, expanding to 30 guest rooms with amenities including promenades, pavilion, picnicking, croquet field, lookout tower, and walking paths. A 1901 fire destroyed the complex. This image is of a foundation for an expansion never completed.  In 1905 the Reservation purchased the property.  The area can be reached via the New England National Scene Trail and via an unimproved road during special events.